- It is a renewable source of energy.
- The top 10 kilometers of the earth’s surface has 50,000 times more energy than all of the existing oil and gas reserves on the planet!
- Many geothermal plants can be found in the western United States, where hot water reservoirs are frequent.
- Making geothermal energy doesn't require burning any fuels, so it creates no air pollution.
- Geothermal heating systems can actually heat and cool buildings
- Common 'dry steam' geothermal plants emit greenhouse gases - maybe only 1/8th of the amount coal plants give off, but they're still emissions. However, engineers are improving 'binary cycle' plants. They release no emissions except for water vapor.
- Only about 10% of the world can be used for geothermal power production.
- When heating systems break, they can cost a lot of money to fix. However, geothermal heating systems don't usually need much maintenance.